With all the gift giving at this time of year, Grande Prairie residents will soon find themselves looking to toss the boxes, wrapping paper and the packaging they came in.
Aquatera asks customers to take advantage of blue bag recycling and no cost drop off recycling at the Eco Centre this holiday season.
Resident’s will not see changes to Aquatera’s regular curbside collection schedule over the holidays and are reminded to have their garbage carts and blue bags out by 7 a.m. to avoid being missed.
“This time of year is certainly a time of excess, which can mean overflowing garbage carts. Fortunately, there are no limits on amount of blue bags residents can put curbside, so it is a great way to reduce overflowing landfill carts,” says Chelsea Lewis, Communications Manager.
Blue bag tips:
- Include gift wrap, boxes which toys come in with all plastic and ties removed, cardboard boxes, and plastics #1 through #7 including vegetable trays, cake, as well as muffin and condiment containers.
- Large cardboard boxes from appliances and televisions can be flattened. They will only be accepted curbside if cut to a maximum size of 2 x 3 feet.
- Styrofoam, plastic bags or wrap are not accepted in blue bags.
The Eco Centre (10431 – 96 Avenue, Grande Prairie) offers many extra drop-off recycling options.
- Large cardboard: Flattened cardboard from items such as televisions and large appliances, can be easily thrown in a large cardboard bin.
- Styrofoam: Packing blocks, cups, containers and egg cartons are all accepted. All tape, plastic, and metal must be removed. Packing peanuts are not accepted
- Electronics: From televisions to small appliances, and computers to DVD/CD/VHS players are all accepted
The Eco Centre will be closed December 25 and 26 for the holidays. However, the Aquatera Landfill will only be closed Christmas Day, reopening on Boxing Day.