Our landfill gas collection system reduces greenhouse gas emissions by capturing landfill gas collected from decomposing landfill waste.
Aquatera has furthered this technology with our Bioreactor Landfill Gas-to-Energy Project. Technology at our Landfill converts this gas to energy, providing heat and electricity to our Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants.
For more information check out our Bioreactor Fact Sheet (PDF)
How does it work?
Our commitment to the environment and to our customers
Some of the key environmental values and benefits of the Bioreactor Landfill Gas-to-Energy Project include:
- Reducing Greenhouse Gas emissions by 63,000 tonnes on average annually - which is equivalent to removing 13,500 vehicles from our roads each year
- Producing an average of15.2 million kwh of electricity on landfill gas alone annually - which is enough energy to power 14,000 homes per year
- Producing approximately 33,000 GJ of heat annually, on landfill gas alone - which is enough to heat 200 homes per year
- Reducing Aquatera's overall power and heating costs - which is an estimated 10 year payback on facilities, and offers an opportunity to stabilize rates for our customers
- Improving air quality, and reducing odors at the landfill by minimizing the surface emission of methane gas