Aquatera operators a Class II Bioreactor, and innovative solution to solid waste management. Through our Landfill Gas-to-Energy Project, we are able to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by capturing gas collected from decomposing landfill waste and convert it to energy, providing heat and electricity to our Water and Wastewater Treatment Plants in Grande Prairie.
- Reducing Greenhouse Gas emissions by 63,000 tonnes on average annually - which is equivalent to removing 13,500 vehicles from our roads each year
- Producing an average of15.2 million kwh of electricity on landfill gas alone annually - which is enough energy to power 14,000 homes per year
- Producing approximately 33,000 GJ of heat annually, on landfill gas alone - which is enough to heat 200 homes per year
- Reducing Aquatera's overall power and heating costs - which is an estimated 10 year payback on facilities, and offers an opportunity to stabilize rates for our customers
- Improving air quality, and reducing odors at the landfill by minimizing the surface emission of methane gas
For more information check out our Fact Sheet (PDF)