What is the Litter Pickup Program?
At Aquatera it is important to us to keep our community clean and litter-free! The Litter Pickup Program is intended to do just that, while providing a sponsorship opportunity to local groups and organizations. This program is dedicated to supporting youth and providing youth programming in our community.
Every year, we sponsor $2,500.00 to a local group in exchange for doing on-site litter pickup at our Landfill, and an additional $2,500.00 to a second local group in exchange for doing litter pickup along Highway 40, the Correction Line and Resources Road.
As soon as the snow melts and the conditions are safe, we can get to work! Recipients of this sponsorship must:
- Commit to having at least 15 volunteers available to complete this task
- Be at least 14 years of age
- Be dressed appropriately for the weather and conditions and wear proper footwear (preferably rubber boots or work boots, but no open-toe shoes).
We focus on certain groups and organizations that have our youth community in mind. To be eligible you must:
- Be a non-profit organization located within the Aquatera service area – this includes the City of Grande Prairie, the County of Grande Prairie, Town of Sexsmith and the Town of Wembley
- You must provide programs or services that target youth under the age of 18 (including sports)
- Funds received must be applied directly to the enhancement and/or support of the youth programs and services you provide
Preference will be given to groups and organizations that support lower income and at risk youth, and locally-based programs that have a wide-range community impact.
The Litter Pickup Program application deadline is March 31.
2019 Selected Recipients
- Grande Prairie Friendship Centre - Pitone Youth Group
- Charles Spencer Rugby