Did you know that the amount of garbage sent to a Landfill between Thanksgiving and New Years increases by 25 per cent? To encourage waste reduction this holiday season, check out our Holiday Recycling Tips!
- Save money and unnecessary waste by making your own cards, wreaths and ornaments this holiday season.
- Always bring your reusable bags with you when you do your holiday shopping.
- Get more our of your paper and cardboard recycling by using these items as gift wrap. You can reuse foil, newspaper and bags.
- If holiday lights are in good condition, store them safely to reuse them again next year. If they no longer work, put them in your garbage cart.
- A lot of food is wasted during the holidays. Be realistic about how much food you will need for your holiday feast and send leftovers home with guests.
- If you do have food waste, put it in your garbage cart. Organic materials quickly decompose, producing methane gas that is converted to a fuel source that heats and powers the Aquatera Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Minimize the use of plastic, paper and Styrofoam dinnerware and cutlery by bringing out your fancy holiday dinnerware.
- Access over ownership – buy apps, subscriptions, refillable gift cards, ebooks as gifts and save the waste.
- Get crafty – give the gift of creativity by getting crafty with homemade gifts. Melt down old candles to create a new one, pain and personalize old mugs and glasses, reuse glass jars by filling with your favorite holiday cookie ingredients..the ideas are endless.
- Choose sustainability – give gifts made from sustainable and recycled materials. Do your research to find out what companies your supporting and in return will support our planet.
- Make recycling easy by placing recycling bins beside your trash bins at home and at work.
- Wrapping and packaging - Cardboard and paper in blue bags and Styrofoam goes to the Eco Centre.